Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

subfloor termites 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stilllearning

Structural
Jan 26, 2002
US
we are looking at a house built in 1901, the foundation is rock and the subfloor is deteriorating. the joists and girders have been patched in the past and have severe termite damage, the outside of the house looks good with the walls in good shape. the floors in the house are sloping to the center of the house. what if anything could be done and what kind of costs if would we be looking at to replace the subfloor and possibly correct the foundation

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My suggestion would be to have a residential contractor come to your house and estimate what it would cost to 1. replace the floor entirely and 2. correct only portions of the flooring system. The house is over 100 years old and it must be assumed that a great deal of work, time and money will be invested in order to sustain the residence for many years to come.

Aside from telling us that the foundation is rock, what is wrong with it?

If you'd like to have some idea of what it would cost for those ideas mentioned above and have some mechanical aptitude I suggest going to the local library and looking up the Means Construction Cost Data for Residential work. Here you will get a unit cost based on square foot. Moreover there are many indexes to factor that unit cost with such as location etc.

I would suggest finding another house to purchase. I don't know where this area is, but it is a buyers market out there now, and you should be able to find a home with no real problems for a very reasonable price.

I've found that most of the termite and rot damage in older houses occurs around the perimeter rather than in the middle. Your floor is deflecting at the center, which raises the possibility of an unplanned load from above,a removed beam or column in the basement, or simply inadequately sized joists. You should consider these possibilities in addition to the termites.

Termites cause damage to timbers, but in addition their burrows underground can be quite extensive and extend down to a depth of several feet.
Over a long period of time these burrows may collapse, and any structure or foundation above the burrows may also start to settle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back