Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subgrade Integrity - Pervious Paving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott367

Civil/Environmental
Jan 22, 2007
US
We are considering using pervious concrete on some of our upcomming projects. This is still untested stuff so I am probably being a little too conservative. I am in Ohio we get about 40 inches of rain per year and mostly clay based soils. Whenever I have a wet subgrade it performs very poorly. How am I too permit water to pass into my subgrade without degrading it? My first thought is to design the sugrade to drain to a network of underdrains. This option adds significant cost over conventional. Anyone have any experiance with this stuff? Do I need to take steps to keep the subgrade from going to mush?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The benefits of pervious pavement is better traction in rain,(less hydroplaning). High speed curves and exit ramps are good applications. The pervious aggregate base used as part of the structural pavement section typically sits on a sloping, (greater than 2% cross slope), impervious sub-base which drains the water to perforated pipes along the shoulders or median. These drains can either daylight to the ditch of be collected into culverts and storm water sewers.

I would discuss this with your geotech before specifying it where you have clay subgrade. You will be introducing more water into your subgrade which is almost never a good thing to do. Higher cross slopes and grooved pavement are also good ways to reduce hydroplaning and might be cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back