Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

submarine cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackque

Electrical
Apr 27, 2006
PH
dear readers:

I would like to ask how much is the cost of a submarine cable per kilometer which will be used mainly for electricity.

Is it also possible that a submarine cable can be used for both electricity and communications and also the cost or expense in the maintenace of the submarine cable. please help me. Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not really my field, but I would expect the cost of the cable would be highly dependant upon the required voltage rating and current carrying capacity.

What sort of communications ? What distance, what bandwidth is required ? are submerged repeaters required ? Too many variables.

Refer to API 17 E. This Deals with Sub marine Cables and Umblicals.

All the purchase information (Technical information) are given in API 17 E.

It is very common to have Communication cable along side the Power cable.

Check with Presmian
Also there is company in South Ameriac (Brazil) Oceaneering.

You may also check up with Technip Co flex (i think in scotland)

How many Kilowatts or Megawatts will you be transmitting across the cable? Both initial power and ultimate capacity are important. Low and medium capacity cables often include fibre opic packages, though large capacity cables normally have separate fibre optic cables laid with or alongside them.

I have seen direct burial distribution cable used succesfully for a feed to a small island. It ran three phases at 13,800 volts. The neutral was a single conductor THHN cable run alongside. A multi pair telephone cable was also run alongside. The group was then jetted down about 2 or 3 feet into the sand by divers. It's been working for over ten years that I know of.
respectfully

If your application is for power supply usage, then it may be less expensive, otherwise it will costs high as expected.
Yes, submarine cables can be used for both application - electricity and communication medium (usually fiber optics.

What is the capacity of your system? I need to know, if you mind, the MVA, KV, Monitoring scheme, etc.

It's not just the basic cost but installing the thing. Perhaps contact the companies "Oceaneering Multiflex" for the basic cost of the cable and "Subsea7" for an idea how much it would cost to lay.

Cheers

Zoomi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back