Subsea Controls Communication Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat6787

Marine/Ocean
Sep 8, 2006
US
Good morning everyone,

Sorry for the re-post, but it was suggested that I might have better luck posting in this forum rather than the Control Systems forum.

I have been assigned to a companywide project that will eventually become an in-house training program. I'm still new to the industry and my background is not in subsea controls, so when I was assigned to the Subsea Controls module I was excited for the challenge and the opportunity to move more into that side of the industry. I've almost completed the section but am stuck on the last question, which refers to communications within the system.

So, finally to my question, can anybody provide me with the more common systems used in subsea control systems (i.e. Half-duplex FSK, etc.)? I'm really looking more for a list that I can use to narrow my research. I've made a start and I quickly realized there are a lot of configurations available, but they don't all apply to subsea systems.

Also, any references you can recommend would be greatly appreciated. Finding books on subsea systems has been a bit of a challenge as well.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Kat

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Kat,
I believe, what you saying here is the communication between Master Control Station and Subsea Control Module through the MODEM. The vendor of subsea control system usually use Half duplex communication and using industry standard FSK NRTZ, however, the vendor usually already have their standard.
And, i believe they very reluctant to share their communication protocol with you, unless they are the vendor of your company.

Try contact the vendor such as Vetco, Aker Solution, FMC, Cameron, eP solution or DrilQuip.

Cheers,

Common systems such as SPM use a pilot fluid pressure. Mux systems use an electrical signal and there is also a micro wave signal system used as an emergency.

Offshore Engineering&Design

Hi Chief,
I don't understand with what you are saying.

Till now, i have no idea if there is subsea production control system using microwave signal to communicate with subsea control module. Could you provide an information little bit more on this ?

Regards,

I do not have the information to hand, but if you do an internet search you will come across several suppliers.

Offshore Engineering&Design

Sorry for the delayed response. Hurricane Ike has put me behind on just about everything and I'm just starting to catch up. Thank you both for the advice.

Chief,
I haven't heard of the microwave signal either, but I will be sure to do some research online to see what I can find out.

Cheers,
Kat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back