Subsea engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

AS_

Petroleum
Jul 16, 2024
IT
Dear Colleagues

I'm a completion and field engineer with 10 years of experience. I'd like to improve my technical skills. I'm interested to the Subsea engineering certificate provided by Lloyd's maritime academy. Before spending money, I'm trying to understand if it is a good choice.

I'm wondering if with this certification I'll increase the possibility to get a offshore job.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well it looks like a fairly high level general engineering and design course so isn't targeted at people actually working offshore, but more people who either want to do subsea engineering or are being exposed to things they have no knowledge about and don't want to stay silent in meetings.

The subsea engineering world is quite small, but could have an opening of someone with field experience and this sort of course would help a bit, but it tends to be more about experience and types of projects you've worked on which helps you get a foot in the door.

At over €2000 it's not cheap and i would question whether it would actually get you a position you wouldn't otherwise get other than demonstrate you're showing willing.

As said, the 10 yrs field experience is much more likely to be relevant and something companies want or are interested in as otherwise they couldn't pay you as a 10yr+ person doing a job they would give to a new graduate.

Do you have any opportunities with who you work for or design companies you have contact with?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

These are my thoughts on certificate courses in general. Unless the job you are seeking requires or prefers this certificate, it's not of any great help other than increasing your personnel knowledge base and provide continuing educational credits, if needed. If I really was interested in this certificate, I would try to find out who the typical student is taking these classes. There is a likelihood that these certificate courses are designed for people already employed in these industries and the course's syllabus is likely tunned for that purpose. In other words, the typical student are not people just trying to get into the industry (paying out of pocket) but are for corporations to better train their existing employees (corporate sponsorship and funding). Consider a situation that this certificate course could be set up by BP and Chevron for their employees, but you end up getting hired by Aramco, who prefers their employees obtain an alternate certificate. Just food for thought and possibly someone on this forum has experience with this specific certificate and can provide you better guidance.

I agree,

I used to do some lecturing on a similar 4 day course and altered the syllabus over time, but it was always very clear that you needed to have a bit of knowledge to start with and it was only intended to be an overview and provide information and as much information and experience of the widely varying topics as I could provide in the space of a day and a half. Just because someone attended one of those, would I be more likely to give them a job designing high pressure pipelines systems - errr no. But I would like to think that those attending had a better personal understanding of what went into the design of said items, but not enough to actually design it.

Greatly suspect this is the same thing.

Gets you from say 20% knowledge to maybe 30%.

First and foremost I'd like to say thanks. In deep of my mind I know that this certificate will never give me a chance to get a offshore job. Maybe I'm too old maybe not to get this kind of job. Anyway the certificate is not focused on the desing:

Module 1 – Introduction to Subsea Production
Module 2 – Wellheads, Xmas Trees and Manifolds
Module 3 – Pipelines, Flowlines and Risers
Module 4 – Control Systems, Umbilicals and Equipment Costs
Module 5 – Underwater Operations, Subsea Maintenance and New Technologies
Module 6 – Subsea Reliability, Decommissioning Activities and Subsea Field Development Examples and Case Studies

It seems that is a wide overview.

Once I obtained the certification I'll be subsea engineer? Not for sure. Once I obtained the certification I'll be subsea engineer? Not for sure. I will increase the knowhow concerning the subsea equipement and subsea operation. That's all.
My hope is to became more interesting for HR looking for offshore personal. Nevertheless, the hope it's ain't a tactic.

There are many undergraduate programs in submarine engineering but an additional degree would be out of my reach. First of all because I already have 4 degrees, moreover because I am a family man and I no longer have the time to put heart and sould to the study necessary to obtain a degree. This is why I was drawn to these types of courses.

OP,
Those are all honest words, and they seem like sincere sentiments. Based on your last post, this is more about learning than it is any sort of professional gain, so certificate program might be your best bet in leu of a master's program. I agree that €2000 is not cheap. I am not sure if this is an option where you are but some public US university's offer certificate programs at much less cost than I think you will find with private institutions. I am not sure about subsea engineering but there are likely certificate programs that cover much of the same information. You could also consider if Llyod's will let you audit these classes for free or at a reduced rate. Will you end up with a certificate, no, but you might get some industry inside tracks through your fellow students.

Before taking any course, apply for some jobs in the field you are interested in, and look at the job requirements listed; and hopefully you can get at least some initial interview discussions so you can find out what qualifications they are really looking for. Just spending $$$ on courses in the hope they will be helpful seems foolish.

After a check with Lloyd's Maritime academy we can state:

The subsea engineering certificate it consist in reading slides provided by the academy. There is no frontal lessons recorded. I was told it's about 20 h of personal study. For 2000 euro, it doesn't seem like much.

I joust found a online course:

40 - 60 h of personal study

Fee 430 euro.

The Robert Gordon University is a public university in the city of Aberdeen, Scotland.

I know some of the people in RGU and they are probably closer to the industry than Lloyds are and do a range of studies.

Expect some fairly strong Scottish accents if you're participating on line...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back