Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

subsea pipe in pipe insulation - 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

heyjaehey

Civil/Environmental
Dec 2, 2008
GB
Thank you so much for the replies I got.

I think I found out the calculation and it is the result I have.

Initial oil temp = 250F
Length of pipeline = 25km
Insulation material = polyurethane (k=0.025)
Surrounding temp (temp sea water) = 39F

I get the final temp at around 125F with 1in thick insulation. Could someone verify this please? It just sounds like too good to be true.

I am new to this industry and I don't have any previous project that I can compare this against.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

25 km isn't much. 125 is probably about right, but don't take that as verified.

What's the cP values at 20ºC and 90ºC

"Pumping systems account for nearly 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25% to 50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities." - DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99.99% for pipeline companies)

and pipe diam, flowrate etc.

"Pumping systems account for nearly 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25% to 50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities." - DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99.99% for pipeline companies)

In my opinion: If you think you need confirmation then you should get somebody in your company/office to do a formal check/QA on your work. I have been in this line of work for 14 years and i will always have somebody look at my work before handing it over to a client.

We use an old fashioned stamp/signature and file check copy QA system - it works! I often get "blind" to my litle typos.

Best regards

Morten

Stupid me, I left out some important information.

flow rate is about 2000m3/day with 5" diameter pipe.

Yes it has to go thought internal check but I was just curious.

Should be about right. There will be a lot of cooling with a small diameter line.

cP values ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back