Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

successful case of groundwater remediation for hexvalent chromium

Status
Not open for further replies.

NRCatBNA

Civil/Environmental
May 23, 2003
US
Is there any successful case of remediation project for groundwater contamination with metals primary with chromium (Cr VI)?

Thanks for all feed back!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may want to investigate the possibility of using activiated carbon impregnated with zero valent iron, then treating the effluent via traditional lime neutralization with polymer settling agents. The zero valent iron will reduce Cr(IV) to Cr(III), apparently, and then the trivalent chromium is easier to precipitate. (I am not an expert on this topic, but I have come across the idea in literature reviews several times.)

Zerovalent iron is the sure way to reduce Cr(VI). I've also read many papers and done some research with organic humic compounds, (quinones, etc.), which are regularly released by soil bacteria. However, this needs to be a completely anaerobic system. The presence of oxygen will return Cr(III) to Cr(VI). As for activated carbon, it works. I might attempt a zeolite, though. Zeolites have porosity similar to activated carbon, but they also have Cation exchange. Dr. Robert Bowman and St. Cloud Mining Co. have developed a iron impregnated modified zeolite for this very purpose, a reactive barrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back