Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sudden loss of speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbucska

Electrical
Jun 1, 2000
US
From one day to the other my computer slowed down enormously
It may take 10 minutes to access my E-mail or a new YAHOO
page. Others on the same server have no problem.

I have AVG 6.0 antivirus SW with new definition file and
can't find any virus.

Any suggestion ?

<nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try using a anti-spyware program such as Ad-aware or spy-bot. There are many websites that install programs that aren't a virus, they are &quot;spyware&quot;, but slows your computer down by using your resources for itself, sending your surfing habits back to the owner etc. Ad-aware is a free download and has proven worthwhile for me. It searches your registry for any spyware type entries and your entire harddrive, then deletes them.

hope this helps,
Rick

Did it slow down after you updated the anti-virus
software? Sometime they change the scan preferences
to scan email and web pages before they execute.

Look at your task list to see the processes and programs that are running. If your OS is NT or W2000 Pro I beleive it shows the processor time % for each. Knowing what and how many processes are running would help in isolating the culprit. Ad-aware lists the running processes after a scan, sometimes they can be hidden from the normal task manager.

Rick

Pressing ctrl-alt-del will show a list of the current programs running. Ad-aware will create a list of processes running during a scan. The "Show logfile" button will display this. It gives details about process file location etc. Unless the harddrive is nearly full, as MacGyver suggested earlier, the problem must be some program/process which is using the cpu time.

One more question. Does this only slow down online or are you on some always-on network/internet connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back