Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suddenly Sketches not viewable 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunnykiln

Mechanical
May 14, 2004
US
I have an assembly file that suddenly I cannot see sketches set to be visible, I could see them yesterday. I have several parts that have sketches which are supposed to be visible yet they don't show up in the assembly. I can select the sketches and they suddenly highlight and become visible, but when I deselect them they disappear. I can edit a sketch but when I exit the sketch it disappears. I can create a new assembly, import the parts and the sketches are visible (which would seem to suggest its not a system setting). I haven't changed any document settings since before all this started. I have put a lot of work into this assembly so hopefully its something simple and not a corrupt assembly. Any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are the parts fully resolved? Is your assembly in Large Assembly mode?

I'm drawing a blank...

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Choose from the pulldown View/Sketches. It should have a check mark beside it. If it already has a check mark beside it and is greyed out the View/Hide all Types option is turned on. Choose View/Hide All Types to deselect that option.

Your sketchs should them be able to be shown.

Don't know if this is related, but I have had sketches go blank in part files while editing, all geometry disappears, but the dimensions remain visible. Closing and reopening the sketch returns everything to normal. This was in SW2004, with an NVIDIA Quadro FX500. Just switched to SW2005, haven't seen this happen (yet ?).

Check that your video card driver is SW certified.

Also check faq559-1066 for Testing for a Faulty Video Card or Driver

[cheers]
Making the best use of this Forum. faq559-716
How to get answers to your SW questions. faq559-1091
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of. faq559-520

I have had the exact same problem with a large assembly and have suspected the video card. My video card was an approved one but is old now, a 3d Labs Oxygen. When I opened the ass'y on my co-workers computer, the sketches showed up.

Tom S.

I'd guess that's it. My old machine has the same card and would really struggle with SW 2005. The nVidia FX-500 is great if you want to minimize cost, but I'd recommend jumping up a level or two (in the FX series) if you're doing much with larger assemblies.

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

I've had this happen with a large assy.

Only difference is I'd selected Hide All Types, but then couldn't unselect it.

Once I resolved all sub-assys (lightweight due to large assy mode) I could select it again. Took some real head scratching to figure that out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back