Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Suggest Normazing OR Stress Relieving for Formed Ellipsoidal Dish end 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushigav08

Mechanical
May 12, 2014
IN
I want to know that which Heat treatment should i follow for flowing situation Stress relieving or Normalizing
DATA:- Ellipsoidal dish end having thickness 22 mm (NOM),Fiber elongation exceeds 5%,MOC=SA 516 GR.70N. Where Normalizing requirement given in CODE.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Be careful, SA-516-70 is not required to be normalized at 22 mm. That was a design requirement. Confirm that it was normalized on the MTR and the material markings. If not normalized then it shall be normalized after forming.

oknow said:
If not normalized then it shall be normalized after forming.
Not very practical and the head will probably not retain its shape.
The first response was the correct one. There are only benefits coming from normalizing, done by the plate mill.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Ironic metallurgist,

My thread was a cautionary comment to check the MTR not to Mandate normalizing over PFHT.

Because of availability my former company would have to do this many times and we had no problem with UCS material. As one who personally did the HT the placement of the heads in the oven needed special care. Could be very large size and smaller thickness may get distorted however it always worked for our conditions.

Complete sentences with punctuation would have helped.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Hello,
If fibre elongation above 5% and If you refer UCS-79(d)(2) it does not meet the code requirement in that case it required to perform PFHT separately if vessel do not required PWHT.
You can use any process to relive stress code do not restrict for same.
Hope all agree with me. UCS 56 table can be use as reference.

Thank you for your valuable reply ALL.
Dear r6155
Head is cold formed.Applicable code for this job is ASME SEC VIII DIV.1.I want to add - Inside diameter is 1700 MM.

You can weld the head to the shell and localized PFHT.
You can avoid PFHT if you demonstrate by measurement that elongation is less than 5%.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back