Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggested best resources / avenues to search for jobs in Houston, TX 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNORGY

Mechanical
Sep 14, 2005
CA
As the heading suggests, I am seriously considering relocating from Canada to Houston, for personal and professional reasons.

My background is 29 years in upstream oil and gas EPC, doing everything from Project Management / Project Engineering to Mechanical Engineering to Piping Stress Analysis (CAESAR II) to even a bit of (*GASP!*) Process...

I have no experience (nor credentials) as an MBA...I assume that that particular fact would be of great benefit...not that I am in any way bitter...

I would imagine that I should start by taking the FE and PE exams; they became mandatory several years ago, from what I understand. (Sucks to be me I suppose.).

I do have a few contacts with engineers based in Houston whom I have worked with from time to time when they have had business interests up here; one company in particular calls me when they have work to do in my region that requires my skill set. I do plan to pay them a visit the next time I am down there for a vacation with family.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for the best avenues that would be available to me to scope out the employment prospects, the companies who are ramping up, etc. in that area? (On-line paper ads, names of companies who might be looking, emerging markets, networking avenues, etc.) I welcome any suggestions.

Regards,

SNORGY.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I almost did not make it to work on time today because the outside door handles on both front and back doors had frozen soild from the outside in. In order to leave the house this morning, I had to remove the doorknobs with a screw driver and thaw them out with a hair dryer before reinstalling them.

Yes, I will be looking for different doorknobs at the hardware store.

And the warmth in Houston...would be a problem...why?

Regards,

SNORGY.

The warmth is not so bad... it's the humidity that takes getting used to. That, the distinct local accent, and the odd smells in some parts of town help make Houston unique.
Parts of Houston are lovely, but others are hellish; like most other large cities, traffic is horrible if you are going the wrong direction. I'd take the traffic over the cold any day.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Join LinkedIn, join some groups and build your virtual network.
There are plenty of Engineering and FEA related groups. Several have job posts, and recruiters are beating the bushes for O&G engineers. I saw an opening for a riser engineer at $100-180k + starting bonus + relo package.
I lived there for 8 years during the 80s boom (before the 80s bust). Like all places, it has its + & -.

I can look into LinkedIn, I suppose...

I just hate leaving an electronic footprint that others can follow without being invited to do so.

Regards,

SNORGY.

You don't have to leave an "electronic footprint that others can follow". Join, add some basic info to your profile , then join a few of the apprporiate engineering groups and read the daily email digests. Some to consider:
ASME
CAD FEM CFD Engineering
+ other CAE groups
I'm sure there are O&G related groups too

You don't have to post anything. Even if you do, only LinkedIn members in your network ("connections") will see your activity.

Besides, you already have a bit of an a footprint here in eng-tips.com :) Maybe anonymous, but never the less its there.

Thanks TxAg78.

I just hear about potential employers "checking people out" before making offers, etc. on, say, "Facebook". There has been recent talk here where I work about that kind of scoping being done by management and HR, and "LinkedIn" is often mentioned in that same context with "Facebook", for which I no longer have an account; the one that I had years ago took me months of pleading and negotiation with Facebook to have them delete. A "friend" had posted a picture of someone being mooned and one of my young relatives saw it before I could delete it. Facebook's initial position was "Hey, you signed up, it's your problem, you deal with it." I don't want to go down a road like that again.

It's bad enough that when my name is Googled people land at outdated websites that are completely unrelated to engineering. Or maybe that's good...anyway, it is what it is.

I shouldn't knock what I haven't tried. As long as there's a way I can "erase myself" from it if I don't like it.

Regards,

SNORGY.

SNORGY,
You're correct - some employers do "check folks out" during the hiring process. However, the only things Facebook and LinkedIn have in common are their use as networking sites. LinkedIn is for professionals. You're not going to read "just ate a chocolate donut -- YUMMY!!" on LinkedIn. You have a high degree of control on your profile, and don't have to worry about knuckleheads posting dumb stuff about you. Also, the LinkedIn TOS prohibits inappropriate content.

I fact, a professional presence on LinkedIn can be helpful. Most recruiters will tell you that a good LinkedIn profile is a great way to advertise yourself. (Note: I am NOT a recruiter.)

For example, the technical groups serve a somewhat similar purpose as Eng-Tips. Folks post questions, and usually get answers. Posts in these groups are an indicator of your skills (or lack there of). (Do you post dumb questions or useful answers?)

So, fear not. You can can "manage your brand" on LinkedIn. Good luck getting to Houston. There's some great bar-b-que (& warm weather) to be had!

Nice thunderstorms today; temps to range from the 40's to the mid 60's for the rest of the week.
I was actually approached for this current position through my LinkedIn account.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back