Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Suggestions for a 15% clay solids / 85% water slurry pump 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNORGY

Mechanical
Sep 14, 2005
CA
I am looking to see if anyone has any experience and guidance regarding what type of pump to consider for moving about 10 USGPM of a luke-warm water / clay solids "milkshake" slurry (15% solids, 2-50 microns) at a differential head of about 150 ft.

I am thinking maybe a small progressive cavity pump or wobbler pump with a viton stator and 1 bhp motor (I am told to also consider a hydraulic drive but...for 1 bhp...why?) from Moyno, Seepex, Allweiler or Roper.

I searched previous threads and I think the direction was similar for a slightly different (submerged) application, which oddly enough was also described as a "milkshake". In fact, in a sample jar containing what I am trying to pump, when you shake it it ends up looking just like Nestle's Quick, although it doesn't taste nearly as good.

Since this is for a little pilot skid with a short life expectancy, I could even consider a little Grundfos CR1 and just live with it wearing out...

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

Regards,

SNORGY.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A properly selected progressive cavity will do that duty just fine. Properly selected means <200 rpm and two stage. You can pump far worse than that with a PC pump and still get decent life. I'd choose the second company you list but I am biased!

Regards

Nick

An AODD or AO Pistin Pump can handle this. You can get an AODD Pump with an Output pressure of more then the air inlet pressure. So lets say it is water and 150 ft of head is approx 65 psi. An AODD pump can have a max air inlet pressure of 120 psi with a 1:1 ratio and pump your fluid at a maxiumum of 120 psi. Their are piston pumps with a 26:1 ratio but this is often used when pumping extremely viscous fluids, ink, resins, etc. If you look at say ARO pumps they will show the fluid output and how many CFM's are required and all the other gory details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back