Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sulfur degassing

Status
Not open for further replies.

slic2

Petroleum
Jun 5, 2003
US
Need a brief explanation of the sulfur degassing process

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks TD2K, I have tried google, just looking for other views

You have two degassing effects, one to remove the physically entrained H2S that exist in the tail ags and is soluble in the liquid sulphur. The other "degassing" comes from polysulphides that gets oxidised. This can be done with (cheap) air blowing it into the sulphur pit through spargers or e.g. chemically with an "catalysing" (chemical) agent, that releases the H2S.
there is a good book written by previous Wsetern research (now Global sulphur) that was the best one when I used to work on Claus/TGTU units, you find a link to them through
MainSx/SxMainPage.htm .
Try out for Shell process and for a catalytic version.
RH

Western Research is now part of AMETEK Process Instruments. They are a combination of the Western Research and AMETEK (formerly DuPont) instruments businesses.

I recommend that you either contact SulphurExperts ( or AMETEK Process Instruments ( or
You may also want to consider monitoring the liquid sulfur's head space for SO2 and H2S concentrations. They are a useful indication of hazardous conditions within the liquid storage or degassing tank. For example, an elevated SO2 concentration in the vapor space above liquid sulfur can indicate the presence of a smoldering sulfur fire.

I can recommend another company ... CBI TPA.
They have extensive experience in this field and they are an industry leader in the design of Sulfur Recovery Units.

Typically we use a mechanical agitation and sweep process or a licensed catalyst process, which our process engineers will be glad to explain to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back