Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sulfur Mist Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

npf

Chemical
Jul 16, 2003
US
Hello,
I need information on the removal of sulfur mist coming from the sulfur condenser before it enters a packed bed column as the presence of the mist may reduce the bed efficiency.Will the use of Coalescing filters be a good solution to it?

Regards
sj

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this the tail gas from an SRU that you are sending directly to a packed bed - if so what is the packed bed? Normally if the SRU condenser has been designed properly and is operated at the correct mass velocities, entrainment of S should not be a problem - inclusion of a York style horizontal mist eliminator - typically 15cm - should remove the mist S to acceptable levels. Remember you will always have an equilibrium S vapour content to contend with.

John A. Sames
President
Sulphur Experts Inc.

John,
Thanks for your help.This is tail gas and it is fed to a bed of iron oxide which acts as a polishing unit.
I have few questions
Is the York style horizontal mist eliminator integral to condenser or is a separate unit?Could you please elaborate more on this mist eliminator (% removal, dealers, cost etc),
And also what are the Sulfur Condenser key parameters to be considered for the for minimization of S mist ?

Waiting for your reply

Regards
sj

You might also look into vane or chevron-type (not the company Chevron) separators. They don't get plugged as badly as a mist-pad style. I think they're usually more expensive, but also lead to less maintenance problems.

It sounds to me like the disengaging space in the end of the condenser may not have been designed properly.

Canoman,
Thanks for yor reply.
Can you explain to me how disengaging space will affect the condenser performance?

Waiting for your reply

Regards
sj

Sorry for the slow response - I was on vacation.

The mesh pad that is used in traditional SRU final condenser is horizontal - some earlier designs had 45 degree applications that were notorious for failure. The pad is York Style 326 which is a woven stainless mesh about 15cm thick.

It can be integral to the condenser in a coalescing section on the end of the condenser or it can often appear as a separate coalescing vessel (usually vertical) with a horizontal pad in the exit - here also we have seen pall rings and other types of mist elimination media) but the mesh works best.

Without the mesh we have seen losses of more than 0.5 % of the total recovery of the plant pass through as entrained S - this can essentially be eliminated with a properly applied pad.

John A. Sames
President
Sulphur Experts Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back