Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sulfur Pit Maintenance 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcmidkiff

Petroleum
Dec 17, 2004
US
We have a leak in our sulfur pit heating coils. TEG is the heat medium and the leak is in coils, below the liquid/vapor interface.

There was a fire in one of the condesers that caused the TEG to get very hot. Within a week the leaks developed in two of the four heat medium coils.

I plan to use a diaphram pump rated for 350 deg F to pump the sulfur (below the existing pump suction) out of the pit. Any comments?

Would overheating the TEG cause corrosion in the coils. I believe the boiling point of sulfur is over 800 degrees. I doubt that we got that hot, since no one mentioned glowing metal in the heat medium piping!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why use TEG in the coil?
It is more dangerous when there is a leak.

We use steam as heating medium.

You can extent the shaft of existing sulfur pump to pump out the sulfur in the pit.

The system was designed with TEG rather than steam and we don't have a steam system in the plant. I'd rather have steam, but I don't think I have economics for the changeout.

McMidkiff,

The thing you've got to worry about when heating liquid sulfur is the viscosity. Liquid sulfur has an odd viscosity curve. I can't find a very good online source of the curve, but if you look in this PDF file, you can see what it looks like.

Lewis Sulfur Pump:

Also, here's a little blurb about it found at the following link:
[tt]"Liquid sulphur is used as a fuel in all chemical units which produce sulphuric acid from SO[sub]2[/sub] by combustion. A very particular aspect of liquid sulphur is its viscosity curve : Sulphur comes in liquid form close to 145°C. Then, its viscosity starts to increase from about 157°C and reaches a viscosity of 90 000 centipoises at 190°C. This is why it is necessary to maintain its temperature between specific limits of between 145 and 155°C."[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back