Sulfuric Acid Concentration Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukin1977

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2009
PY
Dear Experts

I need to measure the concentration of a solution of water and sulfuric acid. A sample of the solution will be taken from a 300 lts batch that it is used to clean the surface of steel wire

Can anyone describe a method to do the concentration measuring of the sample?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Please explain me some more. I am mechanical. My chemical knowledge is weak

With the Hydrometer for sulfuric acid I will know the density of the solution. And then?

thanks

But from pH and dissociation constants, can one not estimate the concentration?

There are probably much better and more accurate methods...

Regards,

SNORGY.

Why not titrate the acid solution with a base solution and determine the concentration and active acid available that way?
Lookup Acid Base Titrations to learn more about it.

Regards
StoneCold

If you can get the density with a hydrometer then there are many charts available online that correlate density with concentration.

take a known volume of the acid (graduated beaker for example) and weigh it before (tare weight) and after once filled with acid, form the weight difference and you have the kg/mm3.

there are charts a plenty the give you the acid content.

you may need to correct for temperature.

--courtesy of high school chemistry class

A month ago I ran into a guy I worked with 20 years ago and during lunch he mentioned that his company sold density floats, like the kind in a consumer's automotive antifreeze tester used to measure the glycol concentration (density) in water.

When I get to work on Monday I'll call him and see if there is some type of float useable for sulfuric acid concentration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back