Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sun Ultra Workstations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heckdogg

Mechanical
Jan 24, 2005
US
my company is finally looking to upgrade the SWx workstations, we are looking at the Sun Ultra workstations (either the Ultra 20 or Ultra 24s) anyone using one of these for SWx? The SPECapc benchmark results are what have us interested.

Andy Heckman, CSWP/CSWA
SolidWorks 2007 SP2.2
Intel Xeon 2.8GHz 4GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX3000
3DConnexion SpaceNavigator

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Heckdogg,

I used to administer a bunch of Sun CAD stations. It has been awhile, but I would guess that a Sun ULTRA station would run off a Sun UltraSPARC processor. I love UNIX. I like the Gnome desktop, which is what I believe Sun uses now.

What are the chances of Wintel based SolidWorks running on all this this? Not good I would think.

JHG

drawoh,

The Sun workstations now use AMD processors and are capable of running whatever flavor of Windoze you prefer (or Linux or Solaris).

dgowans it correct, they now are available with either AMD or Intel processors, and are certified to run Windows XP-64. I was just curious if anyone else is currently running one of them.

Andy Heckman, CSWP/CSWA
SolidWorks 2007 SP2.2
Intel Xeon 2.8GHz 4GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX3000
3DConnexion SpaceNavigator

I don't know of anyone using them but they do offer Quadro FX cards in certain configurations. I think it's totally feasible they would work more than likely. They start at $1800 and go up from there.

Kevin Carpenter
CAD Systems Administrator
Invacare Corp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back