Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Supercharging a flat four VW aircooled engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade2good

Electrical
Feb 16, 2013
FI
My first post so thank you in advance for feedback and support.

I have read over the past few months a number of threads regarding twincharging etc and I am hoping that some one can help with a couple of points.

I have read a number of times that the Toyota superchargers (Ogura air pumps) are only suitable for intermittent use, furthermore they have bespoke bearings that are non servicable. I happen to have one that I intend to use for supercharging a type 4 VW aircooled. The original thought behind the decision was predominantly the size however my concern now is longevity. What can I expect from this type of charger if I use it constantly? I expect around 8-10 psi running 1:1 on the pulley's ie max revs on the type 4 is 4,800 and this charger works well upto this range.

Any help would be appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Blade, if it's designed for intermittent use and you run it constantly the life expectancy would be reduced. But how bad will that be? I think these are designed for the transient condition during acceleration before turbo boost can build? If so, then constant use will probably be a very big increase in wear and maybe of more than just the bearings.

What is the use of this engine that it will be under boost constantly? If this is some industrial application I would expect short life from both the supercharger and the VW engine.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Thanks guys, just a couple of points
Mike, no meltdown as target power is only 140 BHP at the crank so plenty of headroom there plus the 'charger should be capable of 160

140Airpower,
I understand what you are saying but I am looking for more detailed information, I can't find any tech specs on the TX12 at all. I was hoping that someone might have some experience or more details than I can find

dgallup

This is being used in a van for road use so not industrial. I can design the system so that the 'charger is used intermittently but I am looking for some details that might point me in the right direction. The design speed of the 'charger is around 11000 rpm and I am looking to run at less than half that speed. This should give me a target boost of 8-10psi and significantly most of this will be low down the revs to produce a very flat torque curve

The TX12 has both intermittent and continuous-duty ratings for both RPM and pressure ratios (see below). Sorry if you have this info already, but it's all I could find in the 3 minutes I devoted to this at work:

This makes me wonder if there actually is an intermitted-duty requirement in all cases or if it is RPM and pressure ratio-dependent as the info above tends to imply. An email to Ogura might give some more details.

You might also want to see this thread:

Looks like a very nice build of a compound turbo/supercharged engine with a TX12. A couple of years old now, might want to dig around a bit and see if the owner has any empirical data on the longevity of his install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back