Superheated steam question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcaliberza

Chemical
Apr 18, 2024
GB
Hi all.

Currently on site we get superheated steam from a nearby plant and we use a desuperheater by injecting condensate into the stream to bring it inline to our process requirements.

Is it possible, that instead of using a desuperheater, we utilize some energy generation means to convert the superheated steam into mechanical energy and then the output would be saturated steam + energy gen?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are dropping both steam pressure and temperature for your application, a topping turbine could be used to accomplish this.

If you are only desuperheating, no.

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

I suppose you could use a heat exchanger to extract heat and generate mechanical energy from that.
I would think it would have to be a pretty specialize situation for that to be worthwhile.

They are sometimes call 'back pressure turbines' because they are designed to operate with very specific inlet and outlet pressures.
You would need to sit down with one of the suppliers and see if there is enough energy available to make it worthwhile.
The only other option is to use a heat exchanger and use the heat as input to another part of your process.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

OP: yes, you are injecting [clean?] condensate into the steam supply, but this is not a loss as you are actually generating a small but additional amount of saturated steam this way; I still question whether any alternate energy recovery scheme is viable, but if you are paying for the steam you already get but do not desuperheat it with injected condensate, you will consume slightly more steam, and can expect to get billed for it.

This may well sum you to a net loss when all is said and done.

I'd stick with the way you're doing it now.

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back