Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

superimposition of pressures 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahulbarve

Structural
Aug 3, 2008
SG
hi,
i am trying to use programming with apdl. in this there may be instances where the same element is applied with different pressures. i am told by my senior that the pressures will be replaced when i do this.
is there any way to "tell" ansys is superimpose the pressures on the elements rather than replace them.

also, after all the pressures are applied, what is the best way to have a pictorial look if everything is ok??
regds
rahul

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check the manual for information on the SFCUM command. This is a setting that controls if surface loads (such as pressure) are added or replaced when applied more than once.

I believe the specific APDL you are looking for is:
SFCUM,PRES,ADD,1,1

This option is also located in the GUI under:
Preprocessor > Loads > Define Loads > Settings > Replace vs Add > Surface Loads
OR
Solution > Define Loads > Settings > Replace vs Add > Surface Loads

To plot the final pressure go through Plot Controls > Symbols and select Pressure under Surface Load Symbols and the desired 'Show pres as' (contour, arrows, outline). This can also be done with APDL command - /PSF.

Dear Wecos,
thanx for the reply.
i can see that it works well when i am using the SFCUM command when applying pressures on elements, but if i use it for pressures on areas, it doesnt work..... even if i transfer loads to FE from areas :(...

is this sfcum command related to loads on elements only??

regds
Rahul

Why not apply the pressure using the SF command instead of applying it to an area? All you would need to do is select the area that you currently apply a pressure to, select the nodes connected to that area (NSLA command), and apply your pressure using the SF command.

If you don't want to go that route... are you applying the pressure to area using the DA command or something else? I'm not as familiar with that method of loading, but you could try looking into the DOFSEL and FCUM commands. Worst come to worst you could play with the options under
Preprocessor > Loads > Define Loads > Settings > Replace vs Add > Surface Loads
OR
Solution > Define Loads > Settings > Replace vs Add > Surface Loads
and see if any effect your pressure load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back