Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Supermax mill quality???

Status
Not open for further replies.

capriracer351

Automotive
Dec 30, 2002
US
I am going to head out on a trip tomorrow to look over a 1996 vintage Supermax mill for my employer. It is from what I can tell by looking over the manuals for it, a virtual clone of an Enshu VMC-650 vertical mill. I am curious if in anyones experiences here this machine is worth having. It has a Fanuc control, motors, and I believe drives, but what about the overall mechanical quality of the machine?

My employer bought a Chinese made Bridgeport clone several years back, and it had .060 backlash in the drive screws right off the truck, and no way to adjust it. No bargain there, and I knew it wouldn't be, but they are a "bargain driven" (cheap) organization.

I am of the opinion that these machines are good to stay away from, but thought that I would ask about what first hand experiences people might have had here.

Thank you for any helpful replies.

'85 Mercury Capri
Mild 351 Cleveland powered
6.78 @98 mph 1/8 mile. 1.45 60 ft.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have worked with one supermax knee mill and was impressed, it had teh beaf and weight of a good lagoon, for less $$
it was a acme lead screw so back lash is the norm
but was a goos deal for the money,
still like our old Cinncinnnati 2mi the best

SBI
Central Ne.,USA

Used machines are sold for a reason, usually because they are worn out.

The question you should be asking, is what shape is this machine in? Supermax is a good make, and I have one of their machines here in my shop. However, a beaten up worn out Supermax is not any better than the cheapest mill out then when new.

Regards,
Ross

Good points all around Ross, I have worked on a SuperMax machining center when it was brand new and I wasn't too impressed with the accuracy. It was great for roughing out parts and holding moderate tolerances but if you are looking for tight tolerance (less than .0005) then I would stray towards a quality machine with some mfg support. We looked at a used Supremax when I was in R&D in Florida but decided that for price we were better off buying a brand new Haas, I am not a huge fan of Haas but for the price it was the wise decision for us.

Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. And scratch where it itches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back