Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suplly Air Diffusion - ADPI

Status
Not open for further replies.

remp

Mechanical
Sep 15, 2003
US

Got supply air diffusers for an internal zone of an office supplying 2.5l/s/m2 of air for air conditioning needs. I know it sounds a little low for air diffusion purposes and the consultant is complaining because he is used to the so called industry standard of minimum of 4.5 l/s/m2. He wants me to prove that I will get propper coverage with the diffusers and he wants me to do an ADPI calculation. Does anybody know how to do it easily??
By the way I have linear slot diffusers - which the manufacture guarantees excellent diffusion pattern, we are currently getting them tested in a lab.

Regards

Billyq

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ASHRAE Fundementals Space Air Diffussion gives a run down of ADPI.

It provides a simple table with various air diffusion types, diffusser spacing, room load and maximum ADPI achievable.

Are you from Melbourne Australia?

Anthony,

Sydney... and tis bloody hot mate!

What do you think of that 4.5L/s/m2 rule of thumb that every body sticks to?

Regards

the 4.5 l/s/m2 (6 ac/hr for a 2.7m high ceiling) goes back to commonwealth government office accomodation design brief and appears to have become a default minimum airflow for internal zones. Also, many hospital design briefs call up 6 ac/hr as the minimum.

i believe the 4.5 l/s/m2 as being slightly high as it typically in excess of the room sensible heat load. your proposed 2.5 l/s/m2 appears low (only based on gut feel).

so, using the Air Diffussion Performace Index and being somewhere between the two values you should be able to put together a reasonable arguement.

i had the same situation down in melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back