Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Supplier for aluminum airfoil extrusions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr168

Materials
Aug 5, 2008
US
Is anyone familiar with a supplier who sells small quantities of aluminum airfoil extrusions (1-2 meters in length approximately)?

I am on the hunt for a LNV109A profile extrusion, but am willing to experiment with other race wing profiles for an underbody application. I have managed to locate foam profiles, but am striking out on anything aluminum located in North America. Carbon fiber and other composites are cost and time prohibitive and not an option at this time.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Custom extrusion dies are surprisingly inexpensive.
Do you have space to store a couple thousand pounds of extrusions to satisfy the minimum order weight?
Don't answer me; get in touch with some extruders.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Thanks for the replies, gents.

I was hoping there were some off the shelf options available, as I see them frequently used in some of the low-buck commercial automotive "wing" offerings. Alas, I suspect they are all sourced in large quantities from overseas. I did stumble across a small supplier of GE-222 extrusions, but that was about it.

I suspect that I may have to keep my eyes peeled for a used "wing" that can be disassembled and go from there, or machine some reinforcing ribs to profile and skin it in thin sheet, which may be my best option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back