Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Supply Side and Equipment Grounding Conductors in HV Substation

rockman7892

Electrical
Apr 7, 2008
US
I know that the NEC requires additional Equipment Ground Conductors (ECG's) to be run with any feeders between equipment and Supply Side Bonding Conductors (SSBJ) to be run between transformers of separately derived system and downstream equipment.

My question is in a HV substation environment where a ground grid is typically in place to carry fault current are either of these grounding methods required in addition to the ground grid.

For example between a substation transformer secondary that cable feeds over to an MV switchgear lineup, is an additional grounding conductor required to be ran along with secondary feeder cables?

If the switchgear inside of substation feeds to locations outside of substation are Equpment ground conductors required to be run with these feeders? Even if location of downstream equipment has ground grid that is interconnected to substation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

After looking into this a bit further I believe I've found some better understanding to my above questions.

From what I can see, anything inside of a HV substation yard that has a ground grid utilizes the ground grid for ground fault current between fault location and source in substation (or outside of substation). Therefore, on a 3-wire system or neutral grounded system there is not a need to run a separate ground conductor within the substation as the ground grid is intended to carry fault current flow.

For circuits such as feeders that leave the substation and its ground grid there needs to be a return path along with these cables for returning neutral or fault current to substation.

In a situation where there are no neutral loads (3-phase loads only) the requirement is to have a means to return ground fault current to substation. This can be accomplished in 3 different ways from what I understand:

1) Use of concentric shielded cable - Concentric neutral will be adequate for carrying fault current
2) Use of tape shield - Tape shield will only be adequate for carrying low level ground fault currents (impedance grounded systems) since tape shield has much less current carrying capacity than concentric neutral.
3) Use of separate ground conductor - A separate ground conductor is used primarily with a tape shield cable where the tape shield is not adequate for carrying ground fault current.

Appreciate anyone confirming my understanding of above or correcting me otherwise.

One other observation I had on several large scale renewable projects (BESS, Wind) is that on the 34.5kV collector system feeders from HV substation out Wind/BESS modules had both a concentric neutral as well as separate equipment ground conductor (typically #2AWG).

Have others found that to be common practice to run both concentric neutral and EGC for feeders? I'm assuming this would be to ensure lower path for fault return through cable grounds instead of earth? And ensure that combination of concentric neutral and EGC could handle available fault current?

Tape shields typically have low current carrying capacity, so I would always expect a separate neutral to be run with tape shields.

Concentric neutral can come in either full size or 1/3 size. Full size concentric neutrals are typical in single phase applications like underground residential, whereas 1/3 size neutrals are more typical for three phase loads.

Back