Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

supplying water uphill 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecbradley

Electrical
Dec 18, 2008
GB
how to supply water up a small hill from a pond NEAR the bottom, without the use of manpower, animal power, wind power, solar power, electricity or a heat engine?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Search for Hydraulic Ram, they're pretty old fashioned, very simple and some are still woring after 150 years!

Trevor Clarke. (R & D) Scientific Instruments.Somerset. UK

SW2007x64 SP3.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 4Gb Ram ATI FireGL V7100 Driver: 8.323.0.0
SW2009x32 SP1.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 2Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX 500 Driver: 6.14.11.7751

If you pipe the water to the top, then back to the bottom of the hill, *below* the pond, you can form a siphon. You could tap some water from the siphon (but not all) at the top of the hill.

Don
Kansas City

Better make that over 200 years!

Trevor Clarke. (R & D) Scientific Instruments.Somerset. UK

SW2007x64 SP3.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 4Gb Ram ATI FireGL V7100 Driver: 8.323.0.0
SW2009x32 SP1.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 2Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX 500 Driver: 6.14.11.7751

Dam the stream, install a weir and construct a small pond towards the top of the hill.
Is this a trick question? Are you going to tell us the answer?? Is this related to some real life application?

I'm guessing homework assignment ... but an interesting question nonetheless.

The accentuation in the "pond NEAR the bottom" statement, suggests the solution is to create a siphon (per eromlignod's post).

[cheers]

Come on, guys! How would you tap water from the siphon at the top? The pressure in the pipe at the top would be lower than atmospheric. Any "tap" opened in the pipe would suck in air. Also, the maximum elevation difference between the top of the hill and the siphon outlet is going to be about 10m or 33ft.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Excuse my earlier jocular post BUT more seriously, if the pond is not at the bottom of the hill then how is it getting its water in the first place:

1. A stream can't be filling it unless the stream was flowing down the hill. Therefore dam the stream at the point higher up where you want the water.

or

2. If the steam is flowing down the hill then where is it coming from - perhaps there's already a rainwater pond at the top

or

3. Or is the water being piped under pressure part way up the hill to the pond?

My guess is also homework or we might have more information: height of hill, height of pond from the bottom, where is the water coming from, how much water is to be moved in what time? etc etc

See hydraulic ram thread in the pump engineering forum.

Put the ram pump in the stream feeding the pond. You will pump water from the stream, not really the pond.

Ted

It depends on what you mean by wasted water. Water that was going to go downstream without doing any work anyway? Doesn't seem like much of a waste.

chicopee,
That depends entirely on what resources are available. If water is already running into and out of the pond due to some natural occurrence (like a spring or stream) at a rate that is sufficient to drive the ram and supply the required amount of water to the top of the hill then it is not "wasted". You are only considering water usage of the device and not the entire system. This is not good engineering.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Assuming there is a flow of water into the pond:
Consider a watermill driving a piston type pump.
Watermills were used I believe to water the Hanging Gardens of Babylon
Ross

With emphasis on "near the bottom", I would say the intent is to use the hydraulic ram, using water flow from the pond TO the bottom as the driving force. Or waterwheel/ pump or equivalent arrangements could do the same thing.

Your ram should be a the lowest possible elevation. The feed water can come from anywhere. You should put the ram below the dam to get more head for powering the ram so you can pump more water or at get water a higher head.

At a fishing camp we used for years there is a hydraulic ram that made and installed by my grandfather around 1900 and is still in use today. The only repair has been to replace a broken valve around 1940. It pumps water to a wooden tank about 250 ft above it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back