support condition of concrete beam connected to a shear wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakaylakay

Structural
Nov 26, 2015
PH
hi everyone,

i am modelling a 8 story reinforced concrete building with shear wall, my problem is that the beams connected to the shear wall are always failing in shear design as shown in the shear design output. the width of the beams is already 800mm and yet they are failing still. can anyone share to me how will i model the end condition of the beams connected to the shear wall so that shear failure can be eliminated. i am using etabs v9.5..thanks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hopefully not too late! You have your beams modeled as "outriggers". For a 8 story building, this is likely INCORRECT. You need to pin the beams that frame into the shear walls. By having these beams fixed, you are greatly increasing the stiffness of your structure (along with the shears and moments in those beams). This is normally done with taller buildings..can be done with a building of this size I guess, but you will need to then design the beams for those forces (as well as the columns supporting those beams). I think best practice is to design the walls to do all the work.

As mentioned above, when your adding the frames to act as beam, make sure they are added as pinned members not continuous. Besides, extrusion view comes in handy by checking the connection of frames into walls; you may change the insertion point by right clicking on frame elements and modifying the insertion point.

Shoot for the Moon, even if U miss, U still land among Stars!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back