supporting of small bore SS pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.L.Smith

Mechanical
Jan 26, 2012
TR
Dear friends,

Do we need using wear pads for locating un-insulated 1 1/2" and 2" S.S pipes on a piperack or bracket?
I think galvanic corrosion will damage pipe and support if we don't use wear pad. However welding of wear pad to 1 1/2" and 2" pipes is difficult. what do you use for this kind of pipes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Clamp-on shoe.

- Steve Perry
This post is designed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regard to the subject matter covered. It is offered with the understanding that the author is not engaged in rendering engineering or other professional service. If you need help, get help, and PAY FOR IT.

Well then...

Why?

- Steve Perry
This post is designed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regard to the subject matter covered. It is offered with the understanding that the author is not engaged in rendering engineering or other professional service. If you need help, get help, and PAY FOR IT.

BradSmith ... Your response appears to be arrogant, and misguided.

Clamp-on shoes are indeed very commonly used for small bore stainless steel pipes.

Alternatively there are various plastic composite block type supports available on the market.

C2it,
Agree with you. Clamp-on shoes are used on SS pipes. It is common practice to isolate the shoe from the pipe using Tico (or similar) thin strips to prevent galvanic corrosion. And as you say if the pipes are very small plastic composite blocks can be used.

DSB123,

Cheers.

I do alot of work in the Norwegian sector and the preference there these days, is to make small shoes and clamps from stainless. Quite frequently frames are also statinless.

Ker-ching !!

Thanks friends for your responses.
But using wear pad and bearing plates are common than clamp-shoe supports. do u agree with me?

BradSmith,

No I don't agree with you. Wear pads need welding to pipe, underhand welding if fitted in situ, which welders don't like.

Clamped supports have many benefits and provided they are not generally used for line-stops or guides, no disadvantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back