Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

suppressing and resuming groups using pro program 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustin138

Mining
Jan 31, 2007
US
can anyone help with my problem please!

Facts:
-Both groups are suppressed to start with:
-Both groups can not be resumed at the same time.

Goal:
When conditional statement 1 (IF HEAP_PROJ_DISTANCE_1:FID_HEAP_AXIS_DISTANCE_1 > ACTIVATION_DISTANCE) is true, I need for group 1 to be resumed and group 2 to be suppressed.

If conditional statement 1 is not met I need both to stay suppressed and then a second conditional statement (IF HEAP_PROJ_DISTANCE_1:FID_HEAP_AXIS_DISTANCE_1< ACTIVATION_DISTANCE) to be performed and If conditional statement 2 is true, I need for group 2 to be resumed and group 1 to be suppressed.

Problem:

I can’t get the order and syntax of the pro program file correct so that it is executed properly

Also I know that even if I can get this to work I will still have another issue.

Issue:

If group 1 is suppressed and group 2 is resumed and I make a change to a dim which changes the situation from group 1 suppressed and group 2 resumed to group 2 suppressed and group 1 resumed it will cause a problem because group 2 is resumed and when group 1 is resumed I have a failure due to the geometry and features both groups can not be resumed at the same time.

below is the program file with the first conditional statment in it the group1 id is 1386 and the second is 1506. Can anyone help with this problem/ by the way i'm a first time user of this site and pro program.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I saw you sent me a .neu file (neutral). This is just a dumb solid, without parametric features.

You must apply the same techique of my example to your part. Let all features to be active before use the IF END-IF condition.

The hard thing is to identify all the features of a group. And if they are not groupped in your tree, then you must split the IF-END IF condition for each one. It is not complicated, but attention.

Go ahead, you will do it. Pro/Program is not complicated!
-Hora

no I dont think that is it either, if you have time here is how you can alter the file you sent me (takes only a few minutes, very quick)and then you know exactly what i have.

1. first delete the conditional files in pro program and delete the last cut.

2. change the first protrusion to a surface with capped ends but retain the same dims to locate the circle and its size.

3. change the first feature (round cut) to a surface as well, but change it from a cut to a protrusion (no capped ends), so you will have a cylinder within a cylinder.

4. then merge the two cylinders so the final result looks like a big circle with a little circle removed.

5. group the merge and the feature before it and this is group 1

6. supress group 1

7. create a new surface protrusion (square)(extending out from the large circle so it looks like a flag pole sticking out of the ground) with capped ends. the sketch for the new square should be On the large circle, and make the square 15 x 15 in size on the right side of the right datam plane and below the front datum plane on the right side. place a dimension from the right datum plane to the left side of the box with a dim of 68, then place a dim from the front datum plane to the bottom of the box enter 8 as the dim. all of this, places a box in the center of hole created in step 2, and the box should be smaller than the hole (you should not be able to see the hole because the previous group and its features should be suppressed.)

8. merge the new box and large cylinder together so they become one quilt and group these two features together to make group 2.

9. now you have created a problem similar to what i have, because either of the group features can be resumed by themselves but not together.

With this, can you see if you can find a way to suppress and resume them back and forth without causing failures.

Hora,
ok you to, again i appreciate all your help, if you give it a try and you can't figure it out then I'll just give up on making this work, i would just like to know if it is possible and how to do it if it is. Thanks again.

Dustin

Hora, hope you had a good weekend, please let me know if you get anywhere with the last example? also do you know if there is a way to regenerate using pro program so you don't have to do it manually?

Thanks,
Dustin

Dustin, I do not nave time today to create your situation. Too busy at work. I read quickly your instrunctions to create your part and I'm confused. You use the first feature (the main surface) in both groups? I think your problem is you link features that will not be supressed together.

Do not create links between the feature which are not in the same group, otherwise your supress will not work.

I'm pretty sure this is your problem.

-Hora

ok, i try a different approach creating a second main feature and merging the first main feature with the first group and the second main feature with the second group, i'll let you know how it works out, if your to busy to respond today thats ok, mayby tomorrow.

Thanks Again,
Dustin

Hora, you were right about the features being linked as the problem, i tried the new technique i described in the last post and it worked on the test part example however i fixed this in my original model and it still has a problem. i will investigate some more and get back to you with the results.

Meanwhile, can you tell me if it is possible to create a syntax in pro program that will regenerate automatically.
Also, beside the above question is it possible to copy and reference features in pro program, example below:

if you have a feature say a revolve:

ADD SUPPRESSED FEATURE
INTERNAL FEATURE ID 570
PARENTS = 410(#12) 1305(#17)

and you have a conditional statment that removes the SUPPRESSED:

ADD FEATURE
INTERNAL FEATURE ID 570
PARENTS = 410(#12) 1305(#17)

is there any way to reference this feature later in the pro program file to perform another operation to it, for instance maybe to hide the part or maybe something else. and if this is possible what would the syntax be.

Thanks,
Dustin

Hello Dustin,

I'm glad to see you solved the problem. Regarding the second question, unfortunately, ProProgram is not so powerfull to do things like that. Only a C program and Pro/Toolkit API functions will allow you to control features and show them active or inactive function if diffrerent inputs.

-Hora

HORA,
THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP WITH EVERYTHING, I STILL HAVE A FEW ISSUES BUT I THINK I CAN MANAGE FROM HERE, I THINK I WILL BE FINE, BUT JUST IN CASE I RUN INTO SOMETHING I'LL RESPOND BACK TO THIS POST. THANKS A BUNCH FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!

THANKS,
DUSTIN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back