Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Surcharge for a Sea Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lutfi

Structural
Oct 20, 2002
US
All, I am analyzing a sea wall that is used for a small park. The wall is retaining 4 to 6 feet of earth with the water in the river side is about 3 feet above the mudline. The wall does not appear to be subject to vehicular traffic. I am of the opinion that 40 psf surcharge would suffice. This will cover for human loading standing at or near edge of the sea wall.

Does anyone here have a solid source, or practical input, other than AASHTO's 250 psf which is extremely excessive and not possible for this small walls.

Regards,
Lutfi

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

250psf is pretty typical. It's the equivalent of about 2ft of soil at 125lb/ft^3 density. That's what I would be designing to unless I had a really good reason not to. Even if you tried to sharpen your pencil and did 100psf for people hanging around to watch the sunset or something, and then added 6" of soil for people doing random gardening or earthworks in the future or for construction allowance, you're going to end more than half way there. Unless that extra 100 psf you're saving has a significant cost impact you might as well just use the easy to justify number and not have to worry about what happens if someone drives equipment up to it.

TLHS, the site cannot be accessed by traffic due to existing trees, playground and fencing on two sides. The other tow sides are water/river. Lawn mower is the most that I can envision.

I will use 100 psf. I was looking for a solid reference with surcharge values other than computing based on EFP and height of soil above the sea wall. Plus, this is an existing sea wall that I am analyzing. It is already built several years ago.

Regards,
Lutfi

If you're validating existing, then yeah, figure out what you can make the numbers work for and see if you're comfortable with that condition. You're unlikely to find a governing standard that has mandatory language for this situation.

It is settled. A surcharge of 100 psf is what my engineering judgement is telling me. This is based on the project and what I know what will happen.

Thanks for those who chimed in.

Regards,
Lutfi

Regards,
Lutfi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back