Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

surface contact side

Status
Not open for further replies.

HonzaS

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2010
CZ
Hi,
I have created a simple example (attached picture) of Face contact.
I would need to flip the contact side of the upper sheet.
It should be able to through the selecting top/bottom in the surface dropdown menu of regarding region dialog box isn't it?
But the contact side is still the same.

Could anyone tell me what I do wrong?

Thanks,
Honza

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Honza,
Could it be due to default SURFACE NORMAL direction. I think we have an option to reverse the normal direction EDIT/SURFACE/REVERSE NORMAL.
Best Regards
Kapil

Thank you kapmnit,

I have switched surface normal (I can see it thanks to the backface culling), but the contact arrows stay still in the same direction. Even if I was trying to change top/bottom in the region settings.

So my problem lasts :(

Dear Honza,
Plot 2-D element normals: click in the 2-D Mesh collector > EDIT DISPLAY > 2D ELEMENT NORMALS > TYPE = VECTOR. You will see arrows that shows you the TOP face of shell elements, this is the contact side consistent with the shell element normals. Is this is wrong (you know arrows of source/target will be opposite to develop surface-to-surface contact), you have two opctions:
1.- Edit the region of contact and change from TOP to BOTTOM or viceversa. But NX do not modify the contact arrows, and this is confusing.
2.- Better let the region always as TOP and go to FEM environment and use command 2D ELEMENT NORMALS that display normals and allows to reverse.

If you return to SIM environment you will see the contact arrows correctly oriented, OK?.
Best regards,
Blas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blas Molero Hidalgo
Ingeniero Industrial
Director

IBERISA
48011 BILBAO (SPAIN)
WEB: Blog de FEMAP & NX Nastran:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back