Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface continuity (Tangent) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

NX3user

Automotive
Jun 30, 2005
DE
Hi,

It’s any possibility to see if the surfaces are tangent? Some visualization mode or something
else?

I know it’s in Anallysis / Shape / Surface continuity but I need to see after I created a lot of
surfaces if are tangent or not, could be sewed or not (in Catia V5 we have this in
visualization mode options) .

Thank you to all.

Regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In NX4 it is Analysis; Shape; Face; Reflection. You can then pick the surfaces you want to analyse and choose the most suitable analysis shader.

As I recall in NX3 the command is located slightly differently but I'm sure you will find it.

Good luck.

Another way of doing this is to use
Analysis>Deviation>Adjacent edges

Pick the 2 surfaces which share the edge you need to check the tangency on and then hit ok.
You will get an info bow with the max angle deviation. If this is higher than 0.5 degrees then it's definately not tangent (this is the default tolerance ug uses for tangencies). The lower the deviation the better. You can also use the report tools to show you the max deviations on screen.

Hope that helps.

Mark Benson
CAD Support Engineer

I know all this checking tools but I’m wondering if it’s something else that it’s real time
I mean if I construct some surfaces to view if are or not tangent, I don’t want to check each surface with the neighbor because maybe I have more then twenty inside in one sew.

For example in Catia V5 the edges are gray if the surfaces (which are inside) from a Join (Sew) are tangent, if not they are black and it’s very easy to find and correct those faces, maybe UG have something similar …?

Thank you,

Open up the Visualization Preferences and set the Smooth Edge line font to something other than Solid. I prefer a Thin Phantom with Line Widths turned ON. If an edge is not tangent, it will display in the default line font when in wireframe display mode. This is NOT something that is as accurate as the deviation analysis tools though. I use the Smooth Edge setting as a reference and if something shows up that I feel is not quite right, I'll use the Deviation Analysis to confirm and then try to fix the issue.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Thanks nkwheelguy,

That it’s closer that I need,
It will be more than perfect if these smooth edges it’s visible somehow in shading mode not just in wireframe mode.

Best Regards

Unfortunately, this method only works in Wireframe display mode. But it's not that big of a deal (at least for me) to switch between display modes when checking.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back