Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface Finish Callout

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmeristarQA

Mechanical
Mar 22, 2007
US
I recieved a print from a customer and they are requesting a surface finish, and all the specify is 8.20/C I am not familiar with this, is there anyone out there that recognizes this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If it is a turned surface, then the C probably denotes a circular lay to the finish. If the part is metric, then the 8.2 most likely means an 8.2 micron Ra finish. If it's an inch print, then it woulod be 8.2 microinches which would need to be a ground surface. A better answer might come from the customer.

I doubt if it is either microns or microinches. 8.3 is not a preferred number in either system. Micron figures use a number series like

0.2, 0.4, 0.8, 1.6, 3.2, 6.3 etc.

Microinch finishes would be

8, 16, 32, 63, 125, etc.

An 8.3 um finish would be extremely rough...like the finish from sawing or from a shaper. 8.3 u-in would be a fine-ground finish, but would always be denoted as simply "8" in the familiar "check mark" finish symbol. The .3 mantissa would be ridiculous.

Don
Kansas City

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back