Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface Finish Stylus To Be Used

Status
Not open for further replies.

beavers

Mechanical
Jun 27, 2001
CA
Hi,

We have to maintain an ISO spec of 20 uinch for the finish on a steel part .5" long, .062" diameter.

We had lengthy discussions on the interpretation of this spec. When the steel exhibits minor surface porosity, the measurement is greatly influenced by the type of stylus used on the surface tester.
With a point-style stylus the measurement is above the 20 uinch spec (the point will go into the small pore if care is taken to position the part with the pore towards the point). With a blade-style stylus the measurement is below the max spec of 20, even when the stylus travels on the porous section.

Should porosity be considered in measuring a surface finish? Or surface finish is strictly the finish obtained from a machining operation, regardless of porosity and inclusions in the material.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.
Sorin Seruna

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd say it depends on the function of the part. If the porosity affects the function of this surface then it should be included in the roughness measurement.

In fact I stuggle to think of a justificiation for not including it.

So far as stylus shape goes, that should have been specified as part of the inspection standard. If it hasn't been specified and you are following industry practice then I guess you can stick with the blade, but if that component causes problems down the track then I think you'd be on shaky ground.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back