Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface Finish, Texture, Paint Zone, Imperfections, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KLineDesign

Bioengineer
Aug 9, 2007
US
Does anyone know of a standard that indicates how to identify surfaces for finish, texture, paint, or imperfections? When possible, shaded views (seldom) or hatching is used with enough views to show the areas. Other times, simple parts, we may just note one side of the part finish and the other, or a leader to the top/bottom "this side of parting line X finish". Other times I've had more complex requirements of individual areas, and in these cases multiple sections are cut, then cut lines are offset and made phantom to indicate the zone with a leader. It's that last idea making me wonder if any such standard exists for this to help streamline what we end up doing. Type of leader termination, 2 or one, fonts used, designate from point A to B with leadered points etc. often get customized to whatever someone wants - which really isn't that big of deal, but streamlining it a bit would calm some of that.

Regards,
KLINE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The standard way of indicating limited area is use of "chain line":

Capture_dghqgu.png

Since there is infinite number of possible configurations, standard simply cannot go into finer details.
Also, standard allows to use verbal notes to explain the requirements if no symbology is available.

So, I guess you are on the right path already.

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

I may be too confusing to put all information on one drawing. For example: we have separate drawings for coatings and painting that utilize symbols not in the Y14.5 standard. So there is a Key defining what the symbols mean. You sort of create your own standard on the drawing.

Certified Sr. GD&T Professional

KLineDesign,

Do painters understand GD&T? I would rely on very clear pictures to communicate paint masking. SolidWorks has lots of resources for pulling this off. I am sure CREO, SolidEdge, and Inventor do too.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back