Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface Finish

Status
Not open for further replies.

rapper

Mechanical
Mar 18, 2003
GB
Does anybody know the appropriate 'profile of surface' tolerance to achieve a surface accuracy of 0.25mm RMS.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i imagine you mean 0.25 microns RMA and not .25 mm ?

you dont say if your part is round or flat. Normaly 0.25 can be acheeved by fine grinding or superfinishing.

Thanks for the reply, a little more background - the part is a 2.5mm thk aluminium curved forming which is a segment of an antenna reflector.

Our customer requires a 0.25mm RMS surface accuracy - the accuracy an antenna assembly is measured by probing approx 500 points and calculating an RMS error.

The reason for the query is that i am trying to equate the RMS value to a 'profile of surface' geometric tolerance to pass on to our toolmaker for machining the form tool surface.

If you still need help with RMS, I think RMS (Root Mean Square) Error- math. formula to describe error from ideal surface at measured points. put in google rms error to find out more

A .25mm RMS (Root Mean Square) accuracy of the ideal profile is calculated from a formula in Machinery Handbook (surface texture, RMS in the index). I would think your coordinate measuring machine would be able to do this automatically, but the formula is:

RMS Avg. = sq. rt. of ((Ya2 + Yb2 + Yn2)/n)

(the 2 means squared)

The AA average is similar, but does not square the readings and square root the average.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back