Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface 'magically' turns grey??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JonSelby

Mechanical
Jan 20, 2010
GB
I'm building a surface model from sheets and have found that two 'variational sweep' surfaces have magically turned grey.
It's the sort of light grey that would suggest they are not the work part (but are).
The 'Edit Object Display' dialog suggests they should be 'Pure Green'.
It happened after I modified a sketch ... however .. the surfaces in question are earlier in the history tree and are unrelated to this sketch.
Closing and opening the part doesn't resolve this.

It's not stopping me using or modifying these sheets but is plain bizarre!!!
Any ideas?

Jon S

Medical Design Engineer - Glos. UK
NX 6.0.5.3 / Teamcenter 8

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you been messing with the 'Grid'?

Go to...

Preferences -> Grid and Work Plane...

...and check the status of the 'Dim Objects' toggle in the 'Objects Off Work Plane' section of the dialog. If it's ON, toggle it OFF.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Hi John,
No - the grid settings are unchanged.
This is two very specific variational sweep surfaces, all other surfaces are fine.
Thanks
Jon

I've been having components pick up 'specific translucency' in an assembly after being edited in assembly or as the displayed part. Its annoying, I have to uncheck that option each time it occurs.

It sounds like a similar problem.

NX 7.5.0.32

NX 7.5.0.32 MoldWizard

You have to keep in mind that if you edit the color/translucency of a component while you're working in the context of the assembly, that you have ONLY edited the appearance of that Component for THIS one assembly. The original part file knows nothing of those edits. Now if you go back and edit the original piece part and change it's color, when you go back to the Assembly where you had previously edited it, nothing will have changed since the edits in the assembly will override the original color even if you edit later on. If this happens and you wish to remove (not just edit the component so that it LOOKS like the original model), while in the assembly, select the component of interest, press MB3, select 'Properties' and in the 'Assembly' tab, toggled OFF the item titled 'Specific Component Color'. Note that if this toggle is NOT selectable it means that the appearance of the COMPONENT has not been edited in this assembly.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

I'm well aware of how the object display colors etc work, this is NOT operator error.

If I make a component the displayed part, add a chamfer or hole, then make the top assembly the displayed part, it will have set that component in the assembly to have zero translucency. I have to un check 'specific translucency' to undo this errant change.

To restate, the software is changing component display properties on its own random whim at times when I am not making any changes to any display properties.

NX 7.5.0.32 MoldWizard

I'm afraid that you're going to have to take this up with GTAC and have them look at your files. Without having the actual files so that I can see what's happening, I'm at a loss for suggesting anything else that might possibly be causing this behavior.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back