Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface Modelling Expert Required! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SiW979

Mechanical
Nov 16, 2007
GB
Hello People

I have been helping some sponsored undergraduates on a project where they have to design, build and race a soap box cart. They also want to some CFD on the CAD model to analyze the aerodynamics.

Anyway I'm no surfacing expert (as you can probably tell by the attached model) and what I was hoping for once I had sewn all the surfaces together was sheet solid as I have had on many other models in the past. As you can see by this model however, it is still just a sheet body and not a sheet solid. Please could anyone tell me where I have dropped a clod as I can't find it.

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards

Simon (NX4.0.4.2 MP4 - TCEng 9.1.3.6.c)

Life shouldn't be measured by the number of breaths you take, but by those extraordinary times when it's taken away...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try Analysis -> Examine Geometry and make Sheet Boundaries the only box checked, then window select the entire part. This will show you where any holes may be that prevent a solid from forming. (Thanks to nkwheelguy for giving me that advice a few years ago)

"The ambassador and the general were briefing me on the - the vast majority of Iraqis want to live in a peaceful, free world. And we will find these people and we will bring them to justice." - [small]George Bush, Washington DC, 27 October, 2003[/small]

Ewh

Job done! what a nice little analysis tool, you've just won yourself a shiny new star for all your effort! Thanks a lot....[2thumbsup]

Best regards

Life shouldn't be measured by the number of breaths you take, but by those extraordinary times when it's taken away...

Simon,

A critique of your surface would be somewhat cruel as I know you don't lay claim to any real expertise in this regard. If you contact me I'm happy to knock up a more suitable example by implementing a few simple changes to the method and surface break-up in that model.

In the meantime the quick an easy fix for that model is to change Studio Surface (27) to degree 5. Having done so you'll simply find that you need to delete and re-apply the final sew in order for it to output a solid body.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Hudson

I would of course welcome any advice or tips, I'm never adverse to learning something new. The more I learn the better! [smarty]

Best regards

Hi simon,

I always keep the 'confirm upon apply' checked while sewing sheets becasue after applying I get a chance to see all those holes or irregularities and also all analysis options.

Dinesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back