Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface normal output for tool path

Status
Not open for further replies.

snuffy

Aerospace
Oct 23, 2002
US
I want to use (Siemens command) CUT3DF (3D cutter comp.) on a 5 axis machine with a Siemens 840D SL control. To use CUT3DF you need the surface normal of the contact point. I am using a ball end mill and need to comp. when milling a contoured surface. How can you output the surface normal vectors of contact point in NX CAM?

I also need to create UDE to handle this in the UGPost. I believe the format is X Y Z A3= B3= C3= A4= B4= C4= A5= B5= C5= . I was told by Siemens that A4/B4/C4 and A5/B5/C5 are identical. This is the surface normal vector. Note: I am using TRAORI mode so A3/B3/C3 is the I,J,K vector components.

Thank you for any advice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the operation in NX, turn on Output Contact Data. You'll find it in Non Cutting Moves > More, because in 2D it's associated with Cutcom, engage, and retract. If there are no multiple contacts, this will write the extra information about the contact normal in to the tool path, and they will be set as mom variables for the post.

From there, create a milling post and select the Sinumerik 840D control.
You should see a custom command output_cutcom_mode that will get you started.

For more support, contact GTAC, or ask in the Siemens Manufaturing Forum - there are a lot of post experts there.

Mark Rief
NX CAM Customer Success
Siemens PLM Software

I guess I cannot upload a .jpg file. Here is the text for error message, "Contact Date cannot be generated when Motion Output is Arc, NURBS or Sinmuerik Spline. The Motion Output will be changed to Line.

Is there anyway to get the surface normal of contact point of a contoured face in NX?

Thanks again for your time.

Glad to hear Tom got you going :*)
Yes, to output surface normals, you need to do linear output.

Mark Rief
NX CAM Customer Success
Siemens PLM Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back