Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

surface penetration, how to "correct" it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jisb

Bioengineer
Sep 29, 2004
US
Hello,

I met a contact problem in my modeling. Basically I have a thin-walled container (modeled as rigid solid), within which I have a soft gel-like material in contact. Loading condition is to sudden shake the container (and thus the gel inside due to contact forces). Because the gel has a very large bulk modulus making it very incompressible, I have to use coarse solid tet10 mesh to model, in order to get a slightly larger stable time increment. Clearly, the rigid container will be master surface, and the gel outward surface will be the slave surface. Now the problem is that, if I use general contact, very often I see a few nodes will penetrate outside the container. If I use contact pair with *clearance option, fewer nodes will do so, but still there are some nodes penetrated through the thin-walled container, and goes outside, which is not at all physically sound.

Could anyone give me some hint what I might have done wrong, and what I can rectify? -- From abaqus manual, it says that I need to refine the slave surface mesh, but this is hard to do given our specific conditions, i.e., a high bulk modulus and we prefer to have coarse mesh of the gel.

BTW -- I use Abaqus V6.4 for the simulation.

Thanks very much, and appreciate any thoughts!

Sean

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
If you can't refine the slave, can you coarsen the master? The meshes should ideally remain fairly well-matched.

Also, are you using penalty or kinematic contact? (Maybe try the other one!)

If the penetrating nodes are midside ones, can you try Abaqus 6.5? This seems to help a bit.

Is it possible to model the container as shells or just finite stiffness? This will be slower but can help Abaqus "balance" the forces/overclosures better.

Good luck...
MToft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back