Surface Repair and Surface to Solid 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDO

Mechanical
Sep 4, 2001
CA
Hi,

Even though I have been using SW for quite some time now, up until now I haven't used surfaces much, just solids, creating everything from scratch. Now, I have some files imported from Catia with very complex, wavy shapes which I have to work on in SW07. The files were imported as surfaces with a bunch of defects (surfaces missing).

Question 1: what would be the most recommended functions to be used in order to "repair" or fix the missing surfaces (Boundary surface, Fill....)?
Question 2: Is there a way to go from surface to solid (like filling the space surrounded by surfaces)?

Thank you,
SDO

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If they are small areas, you can use the fill surface command, and apply a tangent/contact relation to each edge.

After you make all the surfaces that you think you need to make it a solid, use the Knit Surface command, and check the box that says 'Try to form Solid'.

You can also knit after making each surface to ensure that the new surface you created will knit to the geometry.

If you are getting many "failure to knit faces" errors, Check the model for general faults. Models with general faults will not knit. Checking the model will also tell you where the open surfaces are, letting you pinpoint where you need to make surfaces to create a solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back