Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface Thicken problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UMDpru

Mechanical
May 16, 2007
US
I have created a spline and revolved it around an axis to create a "cup like surface". Im trying to thicken it to create a solid and i get a rebuild error "Face which failed check".

Any help on this one?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Theo is referring to the offset that is embedded in the thicken command. In all likelihood you have a point on your spline where the local radius of curvature is less than the amount you want to thicken (offset). When this happens, SWX will barf.

Picture two lines intersecting at a right angle, with a radius of X connecting them. Now offset this whole mess toward the center of the radius a distance of X+1. What happens to the radius? I imagine you have the same condition with your spline. A quick check would be to go into the sketch of your revolved surface and try to offset the spline by the same amount/same direction as your thicken. See anything goofy?

It's perhaps not the most elegant solution, but I offset the spline and just revolved the contour as solid in the first place.

Thanks for the help!

Adam

I consider myself to be an intermediate user of SW. I taught myself to use it and have been using it professionally for about 2 years now. I just don't have that much experience with surfaces...

Thanks for the help.

Surfaces are hard to learn on your own. I did manage it back when I started the job I have now, but I was required to. Your better off learning on something that is not part of a job. More of a government job per say.

Splines are not directly related to Surfacing. Sketches are what you use to create surfaces, just as you do with Solids.

Try making something easy like a 6 sided box in nothing but surfaces. I think that is a basic, function of Surfaces and the understanding of how and what you must do to make a surfaces into solids.

Most people are aware of my Bionicle I made 4 years ago, but its still impressive today. Most of the complex areas especially the mask were done with surfacing. That project was what I chose to learn how to use surfaces. I completed it in about 3 months. I was doing it between calls, but it was also a learning experience. I love using surfaces now... they make complex areas that you can't do in solids so much easier.

Bionicle Image

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back