Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surface through points 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwynb

Mechanical
Aug 13, 2002
Hi there,

I have 30 land surveyed points (X,Y,Z) in SolidWorks that I would like to create a surface through. The points came from a land surveyor and I now need to calculate the volume of the surveyed land. I am sure SW can do the trick?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CorBlimeyLimey,
Thanks for the helpful macros. Once the points are in SolidWorks, do you have a tip to create a surface or volume from these points? I can manualy (2 hours of work) create 3DSketch lines between the points but how does one create a surface from this?
Regards

CorBlimeyLimey,
Thanks for the macros. Just a question, once the points are in SW, how does one easily create a surface? I can if required create 3D Sketch lines in triangular format between all points. From these lines can one then create a surface?
Regards

After importing the points, create a suitably shaped sketch surrounding them and at an elevation/altitude to suit the upper level of the volume required (surrounding terrain ?). The Filled Surface tool. The edges of the surfaces will be the Patch Boundary and the 3D sketch points will be the Constraint Curves. You may have to tweak the 'tangency' options to arrive at the correct surface shape.

Create a surface over the resultant shape and form a solid. The volume of the solid can then be obtained with the Measure tool.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back