Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surfacing between assembly components

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlasticFantastic

Mechanical
Aug 28, 2003
US
How do you surface between two components in an assembly? I would like to model a part that is tangent continous with the surfaces of another pre-existinng component (meaning to set up all faces continuity). Any ideas?
Is it possible to import dummy surfaces into an sldprt file for this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should be able to select a surface from the reference part and knit it (editing in-context within the assem).

I can send you a SWX2003 example if you wish.

Chris

Hmmm- that sounds more interesting than what I am trying at the moment. I export out an Iges of a selected part of the assembly and re-import those single surfaces into SWX. Your method sounds a lot simpler.
Please send me your sample to thomasparel@hotmail.com I am not sure I understand what the knitting does between assembly components

For instance, in an assembly with comopnents "A" and "B", and I wish to make component "C" with surfaces tangent to "A" and "B"...

In this type of situation, I sometimes copy the component surfaces from "A" and "B" into "C" in assembly context using "Insert --> Surface --> Offset" with an offset value of zero. This keeps a "live link" to "A" and "B" surfaces via the assembly, but allows me to work independently on part "C" outside of the assembly.

[bat]If the ladies don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.[bat]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back