Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SURFACING / KNIT SURFACE QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

toycept

Mechanical
Jan 28, 2004
US
I'm learning to work with surfaces and have a question about knitting surfaces. At what point in creating the part is it best to knit surfaces together?

I did a tutorial of a nozzle, and after a number of features are completed the tutorial instructs that those surfaces completed so far be knit together.

After those first surfaces are knit together....the sides of the part are then created ....and then all those surface bodies are knit (a second knit operation).....

Why couldn't all the surface bodies be created, and then the entire part be knit together in one operation, as oppossed to 2 knit operations? Is there some formula or concept when creating a part as to when it's best to knit surface bodies?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is not the only reason, but if you try to fillet unknit faces SW informs you: "Cannont knit laminar faces". But if you knit them, it understands how to create the fillet. I'm not very experienced w/ surfacing, but I would imagine that there are other examples of similar operations in SW where SW would prefer adjacent surfaces to be knitted.

A lot of this depends on the surfaces themselves. If the trim lines match up and there are no short edges, sometimes knitting all at once can work. Other times...

[bat]"Customer satisfaction, while theoretically possible, is neither guaranteed nor statistically likely.[bat]--E.L. Kersten

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back