Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surfacing Wireframes or sketches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevwoogs

Mechanical
Aug 15, 2006
GB
Hi,

In my spare time I am trying to constructing full surface models of concept drawings of cars using V5. I am aware that a professional surfacer would use Alias or Icem to create free form `A’ class surfaces in industry but I want to stick with Catia!

As a mechanical designer I am proficient in Catia but only can parametrically surface using GSD for simple pressings and plastic covers etc…

I have completed a car using blends, sweeps etc but this is from a series of constrained sketches on a large number of planes. My feature history is huge…I have use geo sets etc to try and simplify it but feel I am approaching this the wrong way.

After looking into this further I am wondering if I should construct 3D lines and splines from a 3D grid sytem to form a wireframe – rather than sketches on offset planes!

If anybody has any experience and could offer any advice or general comments it would be appreciated!

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Kevwoogs - 3d wireframe is the way to go. Take a look at work on support. Do you have access to the Freestyle surfacing module? Get comfortable with 3d wireframe,swept surface and law curves.

Regards,
Derek

Thanks for confirming wireframe as the correct approach. I have started looking at `work on 3D support' but can’t get it to work as I thought it would. I envisage this to be a 3D grid system in which you could snap to each point in any plan/direction. This is hard to explain but I can only create splines etc in a single plane. Should I not be able to give each controlling point of the spline a different coordinate (on the fly)? I may need to figure it out a bit more!

Maybe I should be creating a planer x,y,z grid system and many different `2d work on supports’

I have access to Freestyle surfacing but I would like to grip some of the basics first.

Thanks - Kevin

Note that work on support works on curved surfaces also not only planes. Hope that will give you some new ideas.

I my self am a big fan of the IMA module but that is not really good for large parts but for detail styling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back