Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surrogate friction factor for unique application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sloquick

Petroleum
Aug 16, 2002
US
We are developing technology for installing fiber optic cable in live natural gas distribution main. I would appreciate your advice.

Polyethylene tubing is used as innerduct in the main. It lies straight and in the center at the bottom of the pipeline that is carrying gas at 60 psig. At certain points the innerduct traverses a tap hole in the bottom of the main for branch flow. At other points it passes a side tap and although not in contact with the side wall, viewing from the opposite wall the innerduct blocks a portion of the tap hole.

Assuming the capacity reduction in the main line is already accounted for, I'm interested in estimating the impact of blockage by the innerduct on capacity of gas flow out the branch for these situations? We would like to avoid the expense of conducting tests on this. Main flow tests cost us an arm and a leg.

I think an accepted/published friction coefficient of a proxy, valve (e.g. a fully open butterfly valve) orifice plate or other analogous or more severe fitting, could be used. What do you think? Any suggestions?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back