Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Survey coordinate systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJAlberta

Civil/Environmental
Nov 19, 2003
CA
Just got a new Topcon FC100 controller and 8203 total station.
When setting up a new job in the controller, I am always given the opportunity to set up a coordinate system by choosing a "projection" (for example "Zone114W").
I am also given the opportunity to choose "Grid to ground" and "Geoid" coordinates.
I have never used anything but a straight cartesian coordinate system and am wondering if I should be converting my surveys in any way, shape or form in order to improve accuracy and maintain consistancy with the legal surveys.
Could someone please explain these terms as they relate to total station surveying?

I am a civil engineering technologist working in the earthworks, land development and road construction fields, and the sites are typically no larger than 400 sq.m.

Thanks a lot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While dealing with lands of 400 sq m., civil engineers hardly need to bother about projection system. Your cartesian system that you are using is perfect.

The projection system is different only because it maps the elliptical earth to a flat plane by "projecting" as if there is a flash bulb inside the earth core. So it makes sense to those who map Canada, not the one toiling within 400 sq. m.

Ciao.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back