Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Survey: How often does Solidworks crash on you? 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmm

Mechanical
Jan 11, 2002
US
SW2005-SP1.1 crashes 2 to 3 times per day on my computer and on my coworker's computer. Every time it crashes it gives the "unhandled error" message. We have the exact same setup, which is:

Athlon 64 3400+
1.5 GB RAM
Quadro FX700 with the latest SW-certified driver
WinXP Pro with all updates

I've used Solidworks every work day for the last 3.5 years, and though it has crashed many times I've never experienced a crash frequency quite this high.

Chris Montgomery
Mechanical Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Crashes about 1-2 times per week. More when I'm in hurry and about to miss a deadline.

SW2005 SP1.1
Graphics card: Intergraph Corporation
Card: wcgdrv 05.05.06.15
Driver: 05.05.06.15
Windows 2000 5.00.2195 SP 4
Xeon Dual Processors 2.2GHz
1 GB ram

[penguin]Bill

I'm more sorry to see you using Solidedge then I am to see SW users crashing.

So when is SolidEdge going to make a stand and be a big boy for a change and take over the market? I looked a SE and I thought sucked for all the things I needed it to do in past. I would admit that a few years ago the Sheet Metal was better then SW, but I think SW has improved in that area.

SW doesn't have stablity issues, at least not directly IMO. A lot of the problems stem from Hardware, design practices and just plain old OE (Operatore Error) problems. SW is more demanding on Hardware then SE will ever be most likely, and that is because SW has so much more to offer to it's users.

I guess this is what happens when you spend more money on marketing and less on development. Works is a good product, but I am sorry to hear about the quality issues you have to deal with. Hopefully they change there business model at some point and focus on existing customers and not future customers.

If you have never worked with SW and dealt with the VAR's, good tech support or SW directly, then don't step into this steaming pile if you have nothing to show for it.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

I can go weeks with out a crash then some day I can have 5 or 6
Most of my crashes are caused by me going to fast trying to get SolidWorks to perform a task before it has completed the previous operation

My .02 worth: The load on your CPU math co-processor and system RAM is brutal. This is compounded when you have maxed out your RAM and are into Virtual Memory.(use CTL-ALT-DEL to pull up your task manager and look at the bottom for memory used. Even simple models get me above 1GB RAM with SW05). This may be too geeky for this forum, but my most stable setups have been with recent performance oriented components like: motherboard ($125), 1 GB RAM ($275), Harddrive ($75), Power Supply ($100) and graphics card (Quaddro 980XGL $200 ebay). Something else to consider is that heat is the enemy of your computer. CAD work ramps your CPU up to 100% and keeps it there for long periods. Proper CPU and case cooling are very important. Take the cover off and blow out all the dust with a compressed air can. Once your CPU and RAM get hot enough, they will crash your system if you just yell at them. (not really) Wireframes and geometry are very hard on non-CAD gaming video cards, which are optimized for displaying large, redundant textures. Stability can be improved further by installing SW on a separate drive or bootable partition free of any virus protection, games, or other needless software. Check with your IT dept. if you have internet access with SW to be sure you are safely behind a firewall. If you stick to legit work related CAD websites, you should be fine.
If you have tried “everything else” and still get frequent crashes, try cleaning out the dust first (pay extra attention to the cooling fins on your processor), maybe leave the side cover off for a day and see if that helps. Next I would isolate SW on a separate bootable partition or drive as discussed. Next I would make sure I had a Solidworks certified Graphics card with approved drivers. Next I would spend $400 on 3 sticks of 512MB of performance memory from Buffalo, Crucial, Mushkin, or Kingston. (Tell I.T. you want DDR400 @ 2-2-2-10-1T memory). After this point I can’t think of anything else that would affect stability short of bad drafting habits.

Anyone can be Captain in a calm sea.

cadmaniac,

Yes you pointed out over heating! I forgot about that, it was pointed out to me while in SWW 2005. Overheating of the CPU, RAM, or Video Card will cause instabilty.

Honestly how many of you take the side off your computer and clean it out? Show hands required here, for all those you have stability issues!

Top 5 issues that I think will cause instabilties & Crashing!

1) Hardware
2) Proper Install of Software (No shareware or games installed)
3) Design Intent or Proper Design Methods.
4) Proper Computer Maintenance
5) Clean out the Computer (inside)

macduff Oh said:
The point started out as a Complaint post, but I think it's turned around for the better, because those of us with less of a stability issue has listed possible fixes or ways to help those that are having stability issues.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376

I use a vacuum cleaner (yeah--careful with the static discharge issues) and suck the dust out of my box once every couple of months. I'm amazed how much gets in there. My CPU stays cool (under 105F most of the time) and works hard. Good point.

(If you own the computer, you're more likely to take good care of it.)

Jeff Mowry
Reality is no respecter of good intentions.

As of yet SolidWorks 2005 has not crashed SP01.1.

At work im using:
AMD Sempron 2200+ (1.56gh)
640 ram DDR400
Vidio is nVidia Quadro FX 500.

At home im using:
AMD 64 3400+ (2.2gh)
512 ram DDR400
Vidio is nVidia Gforce fx5500 (not the best to use)

Talking about keeping things clean and cool.
I use a gamers case MID tower with case fans, one on the side two in the back and one on the bottom. The case has good venting in the front and also has a good sized vent grid on the top. The powersupply has 2 ball bearing fans in it. After I clean the inside of the case before I put the cover back on I start up the computer and make sure that ALL THE FANS WORK. I have had case fans and video card fans quit working and not even know it.

Another thing to lookout for is how the ribben cables and power cables for the hard drives and cd rom are routed. If not done neatly this can lead to interupted air flow and this will couse heat build up.

This is just my $0.025 worth.

Roger

My 2 cents: On the average I crash SW 2005 s.p. 0.1 about 4 to 6 times a day. Similarly in the past on SW 2004 and 2003. Working on local drive. Sometime I crash when SAVING the file !!!

MS-DOS did not crash that often when saving a file !!!

Not many crashes here. Been using SW since 97, and most issues were video drivers for me. I always speced out decent machines, and stayed away from certain setups. Windows NT, 2000, XP Pro...liked 2000 the best, but XP is real close. And seconds to the modeling practice, patience is a virtue, and planning out your model helps.

John

Clicking ahead is a problem for me as well. When you know what you want to do next it can be hard to have patience to wait for the program to catch up. I've just learned to save, and save often. The biggest problem may just be the platform SolidWorks is running on. I REALLY wish SolidWorks would create a version for the Unix/Mac platform. I've read about some rumblings of this, or at least of a movement being started to force this issue, but I'm afraid it's not going to happen any time soon.

Mark

Scott,

The post was a cut and paste from the SW 2005 Rx program. In layman's terms the card is a 3D labs Wildcat II 5000 32MB card.

Yes, there are stability issues with SW. IMHO, computer users have put up too long with these issues in general. I understand the complexity of the code and hardware. But we have to get our jobs done and meet deadlines, not re-boot or redo lost work.

SW has improved a lot with stability and is getting better. If it wasn't for the bugs (some which I have submitted) I would be 110% satisified with SW. I don't need new whiz bang features. I need stable tools to get my job done.

[2thumbsup]

You specified theses Drivers 05.05.06.15 when SW recommends 05.05.05.16. Also the card is only a 32MB card...? I wouldn't use a card like that anymore. SW05 is so much more demanding that a 32MB video RAM isn't enough. Look into a new video card. I think that would help you out. Ask your VAR if they have one you can test drive, then see if that helps your stability.

Also try those drivers to see if that helps, but a new card would be the better choice.

This is my personal opinion

If SW was having serious Stability issues, I think I would be hearing more of it, like I did with SW03 and some of 04. But SW05 is way more stable IMO and with the addition of new features is a plus. Everyone always complains about "I need is stablity and that's all". SW does work on that, but we as the users are what drives the new enhancements, not SW. How can you blame SW for not working on stabilty because they add new features and tools? It's us the users that asked for the new tools, but we also asked for Stability and they have provided that for us too. They also provide the proper drivers for all users to know what works and what doesn't. Those that don't use what SW recommends, shouldn't Complain.

I could go on but I will stop there for now.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376

Scott thank you for "stopping there".

Yes, SW 2005 is better than previous release with it comes to stability. We don't call our VAR every time SW crashes. We don't want to bother the poor boys too much.

PS.

We were a few versions behind on the video drivers when we upgraded. We couldn't get the older version SW approved from the OE. We had to skip ahead. to the next version. When we did, the specific problem on this computer was solved.

I would suggest getting a second hand me down computer for all SolidWorks users. Hook up the 2nd computer to the internet, e-mail, word and etc. Then keep your SolidWorks computer clean.

Bradley

For me, Solidworks 2005 0.1 crashes minimum 2-3 times per day regardless of:

a. How fast I'm working.
b. How big/complex the part/assembly is I'm working on.
c. How many other apps are open at the same time.

I've tried several video cards and drivers, done clean installs, keep my temp clean and I just don't believe ANYONE who tells me that theirs doesn't go down if they are doing real work with it. This is bug-ridden software that is rushed to market EVERY time, with lame attempts to patch it afterwards. I would be happy with basic functionality, but they don't even give you the option of turning off all the unneeded "FEATURES" in the software.

Greed will eventually ruin this once-AWESOME piece of software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back