Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surveyor or Cival Cad tech 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacobStaff

Civil/Environmental
Jul 13, 2004
US
I have a decision to make. I have been working for the same surveying company for 9 years and have recently become a Lisenced Surveyor. I have changed from hourly with overtime to salary and increase reposibilities to checking but not signing surveys. I just talked with an Engineering client and he has offered me a job as a Civil CAD tech/project manager for basically the same money (more salary/less benefits). I have worked with the engineering company for the 9 years and know everyone there. My thinking is that I will have more room for advancement with the engineering firm. I will not be able to become a PE but I can always go back to surveying now that I have my LS ticket.

New challenges, and possible room for advancement vs. loyalty, sticking to what I know and not having to move.

Anyone have any helpful advise? Is it really greener on the otherside?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you want to be doing 5, 10, 20 years from now? What led you into the surveying profession? I too started out in surveying and am now a civil/structural engineer registered in three states. I loved working out doors after high school and decided to attend an associate degree program for surveying/highway engineering technology. After attending college I found that I really liked college (didn't care for high school) and decided to go on for a BS in structural engineering. I still do surveying, and do enjoy getting "out". However, I would not be able to provide for my family as a surveyor unless I owned the company and had others working for me. Which would mean that I would not be out in the field. Again, where do you want to be 20 years from now - what does your heart (gut) say?

Personally, I'd choose surveyor over CAD Tech.

It seems unlikely that the surveyor position would be eliminated and transferred to a job shop in India or China. CAD tech, though, that's easy, easy, easy to ship out.

Hard choice, but remember as a lisenced surveyer you are in demand and as a Cad tech you have no real approving athority unless you obtain a degree pr you P.E.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back