Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Surviving in a "workless" Job 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

cancsco

Mechanical
Oct 5, 2003
US
Hi folks,

I am a new engineer(just a couple of years of exp) and I am working in a company where practically there is no work for me to do for more than 3 months.

All I can do is to sit and wait for the work to be assigned to me by my immediate supervisor who is a good for nothing person.

I know that he has got loads of experience behind his back and I know that he knows his stuff, but for a person of his caliber he should be good engineer not a manager.

What exactly is happening is that when I have joined this company I had to put in a lot of overtime to cope up with the schedules and deadlines as others.
But after that period there is literally a slump and nothing to do.
When ever I get my paycheck I really feel bad for taking it as I have done nothing productive. I feel that this thing is jeopardizing my career.
Is this the way it is around in all the corporate environment or is that myself the anomaly here.
It is getting really hard for me to watch the clock from 8 to 5. Please suggest

Nick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hmmm...it is good to know somebody else taking interest in minesweeper. My best scores are

Beginner - 7seconds
Intermediate - 38seconds
Expert - 192seconds

c'mon -- get a life.

When my kids were still at home, I was attempting to reach 1X10^6 on pac man but wore out the joy stick at about 250,000.

"Blind Minesweeper"

I've only been able to do this with the beginner level...

Don't plant any flags. Only clear spaces. When all unmined spaces are clicked, the game ends and all flags appear.

17 seconds personal best.

Ah, but what about when you're faced with a slump--and you're on HOURLY WAGES!

No one's paying me to play minesweeper, or write articles on spec, or...post to eng-tips.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back